Iceland salvaged a draw against heavyweights Portugal on their first appearance in a major international tournament. This is incredible, considering Portugal’s stature in the game, Iceland’s ‘minnow’ nature and the fact that they nearly grabbed a late winner! Here are some great stats that show just how crazy it is…
- Iceland’s population is about 300,00 – the same population as Coventry!
- Their football association wasn’t created until 1947 – Portugal’s was created in 1914, England’s in 1863!
- Ronaldo has around 120 times more Twitter followers than Iceland have people!
- If you are a male in the right age group, you have a 1 in 2000 chance of being in the Iceland squad.
- 10% of Iceland’s population is at the Euros right now!
- Their national stadium holds just 15,400 – Swindon Town’s stadium has more!
- They have only won a quarter of all their European internationals!
- Before this tournament they have never qualified for any international competition.
All that shows just how incredibly Iceland did last night and that their footballing future is bright…